Join me on Instagram!

Saturday, 29 August 2020

"You Inspire Me" card using Label Love and Build-a-Flower Gardenia

Hi there, and welcome to my brand-new blog!

I'm so excited to be posting my first project for the Altenew Educator Certification Program!  

I chose to start with All About Layering 1, a ten-part (free!) class taught by Nicole Picadura.  Nicole's tutorials are easy to follow and she has some great suggestions for lining up tricky layered stamps.  As I practiced her techniques, I discovered that focusing on a couple of 'nooks and crannies' in the stamp, as Kathy Racoosin might call them, helped me to line up the layers.  These are the inner angles of the V-shapes in the stamp, and they were different for each layer, so I was careful to frequently refer to the colour guide on the back of the stamp set.  

My project for this class features the Build-a-Flower Gardenia and Label Love stamp sets from Altenew.  (PS: Those aren't affiliate links.  I just shared them for your convenience).

Here are the steps I took to create this card:

First, I stamped the flower outline twice, rotating the stamp so it wouldn't look repetitive and overhanging the edge of the panel.  I also stamped the outline on a separate piece of cardstock for the focal flower.

Next, I added the layers of aqua and teal.  I was very careful to study each layer stamp because I wanted to make sure I lined up those layers perfectly.

Since this class focuses on fundamental skills, I decided I should stamp by hand.  With an acrylic block.  Without my MISTI.  So, the next thing I learned is that my hands shake when I'm concentrating.

Thus, the next step was to start again. ๐Ÿ˜‚

It took a couple of tries, but I'm glad I decided to complete the card without my stamp-positioning tool.  It forced me to study the stamp in more detail than I might have otherwise.  Sometimes I find that a back-to-basics approach like this helps me to get out of my 'autopilot' habits, allowing me to learn more in the process.

Once I had the four layers stamped, I started on the leaves.  Here, I didn't have the right green, so I experimented with various teals until I found a shade that would combine with the underlying muted lime ink to create the right shade of green.  In the process, I found that stamping the veins first allowed me to line things up more effectively since there was no outer line to follow.

After die-cutting the flower, I cut apart the leaves and arranged them in a visual triangle, then adhered the layers to the stamped panel, adding a couple of layers of scrap cardstock under the stamped images for a bit of dimension.  I then splattered on some metallic watercolour paint before stamping the sentiment and popping it up for added dimension.  I used the same lime-and-teal combo to match the shade of green on the leaves.

I then adhered some fun-foam to the panel before adding it to the front of a heavy white card base.  The finishing touch was adding some gems from Studio Katia's Mermaid mix.

And that's it! I learned so much from this course and process, and I'm pleased with how this card turned out...though next time, I'll probably use my MISTI. ๐Ÿ˜‚

Happy crafting!

๐Ÿ’•Teri

4 comments:

  1. So beautiful my friend!!!!!! Congratulations!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So fantastic. Keep on getting your learn on!!! You inspire ME!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats on the program & on getting your blog set up! I know how time consuming it all is. And I love the composition and colors on your card, especially the green that you created. Can't wait to see what else comes from this journey!

    ReplyDelete
  4. First of all, congrats on your first post for AECP. You did a fabulous job at explaining the entire process and also with your project! Keep it up.
    Thank you for entering your work to the AECP assignment gallery.

    ReplyDelete