One of my favourite things is to find unique ways to use my supplies. The more looks I can get from one stamp set, the better!
For this card, I used the Snapdragon Build-a-Flower layering stamp set and dies to create a stencilled triad tree.
I'm going to tell you how I did it, but first - have you ever heard of triad trees? It's a really simple but beautiful way to create watercolour trees. Here's an example I made using basic red, yellow, and blue a while back:
Basic Steps for a Triad Tree:- Choose three colours of watercolour paint. Usually, the three primary colours are used but the process can work with other combinations, too.
- Splatter the three colours onto watercolour paper.
- Spritz the paper with water, allowing the colours to mix, concentrating the spray toward the centre of your "tree". This will sort of create an amorphous shape with variegated colour.
- Once dry, paint or draw a tree trunk, positioning it wherever you think the "foliage" looks best.
This time, I used a variation of this technique alongside some inspiration from the Altenew Academy course, Celebration Stencil Techniques with Laurel Beard.
Here's how I made this stencilled triad tree card:
2. I then die-cut the two main flower dies from a piece of cardstock to create a DIY stencil! I love this idea from Laurel. (To create a differently-shaped third tree, I just used the stencil upside-down.
3. I positioned each stencil space over the corresponding 'tree trunk' and splatter-painted overtop. Keeping the stencil in place, I then misted the splatter-painted area, allowing the paint to spread and mix.
4. I used three colours -- a cool red, a cool green, and a bright-ish blue -- and once dry, I added a few additional splatters just to balance out the colours.
4. After cutting down my watercolour panel, I realized the trees needing 'grounding' so they wouldn't look like they were floating in space. I used some painter's tape to mask off a straight 'horizon' line and painted the bottom of the panel green. It also needed a little something in the upper portion, so I used the lower-stem stamp to create 'corners'.
4. After cutting down my watercolour panel, I realized the trees needing 'grounding' so they wouldn't look like they were floating in space. I used some painter's tape to mask off a straight 'horizon' line and painted the bottom of the panel green. It also needed a little something in the upper portion, so I used the lower-stem stamp to create 'corners'.
5. I stamped a sentiment from the Paint-a-Flower Poppy set in black and then embossed it with clear embossing powder to give it some shine and dimension.
6. I then wrapped the panel with twine and mounted the whole panel onto a kraft cardstock notecard.
I think this technique could really open up the possibilities of a person's stamp-and-die collection. The Build-a-Flower sets would be great for this, because many different stems and flower dies could be used to create an array of trees and shrubs.
Thanks for stopping by!
😊Teri



Wow, what a great idea and the card came out wonderful!
ReplyDeleteTeri, I just love your card. The colors you chose are lovely.
ReplyDeleteI can't wait to learn that technique!
This is stunning! I used to do this a lot as a kid and did a video as an adult on this using watercolours. I still create faux background foliage using this trick. I absolutely use the colours that you have used and the way that you have stepped up the card by die-cutting out of the CS. Top job. Thank you for submitting your work to the AECP assignment gallery.
ReplyDeleteTeri, this is your old American friend from way back in your Castlegar days. You know, that guy from Colville. Want to catch up? I'd love to speak with you.
ReplyDelete